Interview with Priyank (Author of I Am Dead but My Heartbeats)

Lets meet the Author of Best selling of the year 'I am dead but my heart beats' writer Priyank. He is a young engineer from BIT Sindri and he owns a publishing house too. He has written this novel just to complete his girlfriend's dream. Lets enjoy his valuable words.

1. Introduce yourself to us and your readers.

I am currently pursuing my final year of Engineering from BIT Sindri, Dhanbad. It’s Jharkhand government's premiere technical institute since 1949. Recently I started my own entrepreneurial venture ‘Embellish India’. It’s a Writing Consultancy & Marketing Firm. I am planning to launch a Renewable power project consultancy & EPC firm in coming years. 

My hometown is Jamshedpur and I belong to a Maithil Brahmin family. Since last few months, I have also delivered few motivational & interactive sessions at ISM Dhanbad’s literary fest and cities like Kota, Raniganj & Durgapur. I have a Gold medal in Creative Writing. I love cricket, travelling, sleeping and am highly passionate about entrepreneurship, marketing, autonomous robotics and Indian politics.

2. Can you just give a brief description about your novel 'I am dead but my heart beats’?

In March 2014, I came up with my debut novel “I AM DEAD BUT MY HEART BEATS”. This novel is the voice of Indian youth against the existing ideologies in Indian society against Inter-community love and communal differences. Our orthodox society believes that love with someone out of your community is wrong, a violation of the cultural values. This novel is an attempt to make people understand that true love is not a sin; it should not be constrained in the name of caste or religion. 

It's not just a simple romantic love story with the typical chocolaty stuff. Every year, more than 1000 youngsters in India either commit suicide or they are killed just because of the fact they fell in love outside their community. This novel is an appeal to our society to stop believing in these old thoughts and insane beliefs and tries to logically, spiritually make people understand that love should be allowed to live free. Hope that this issue which exists in more than 90% of Indian families will get a voice through this novel.

Recently, my book has been acclaimed as a National Best-seller with 3 editions sold out in 8 months since its launch. My book has received immense love from readers and very affirmative comments from leading English & Hindi newspapers, authors and reviewers. National Book fairs in Delhi, Gwalior, Raipur, Bokaro, Lucknow, Jaipur, Jamshedpur & Ranchi saw my debut novel being picked up by the readers in mass.

3. Who inspired you to write a novel?

Writing was never my passion nor my goal. It happened to me by chance, by destiny, in an attempt to fulfill my girlfriend’s dream. So, it was her wish which inspired me to write and fulfill her wish after I lost her because of some accidental incidents which happened after her family went against our love. 

4. How did this idea of writing novel come up?

On 14th February 2011, valentine’s day it as and I was with my girlfriend Payal (character of Anshika in story). She told me that she wants a gift from me and I couldn't deny her. Then she expressed her desire that I must write on "inter-community love" someday in future in the form of a story so that people can read about the real life problems true lovers’ face if they are of different communities. It was an issue which is not accepted in 

Indian society and seen as a sin but that time I ignored her wish saying that writing is not my cup of tea, I avoided her words. But after I lost her and 5 months down the line, I realized that my love story couldn't see a sad ending. And the best way to end my love story was to fulfill her Valentine’s Day wish by writing a book 
highlighting ‘Inter community love’, and then I decided to step into writing.

5. What was your motive behind writing this novel?

As I said, the idea behind writing this novel and the motive is just the same. The only motive was to complete her dream and give a perfect happy ending to my tragic love story. Thereby fulfilling my girlfriend’s wish by writing this novel on the issue she wanted me to write on was the best way to give a tribute to her soul. 






6. How did you come to know that you have the ability to write a novel?

Trust me, I had never written more than 500 words or hardly 1000 words in some essay writing competition. Few lines which I used to write for Payal when she was alive made her realize that I write well which was connecting with her heart. Based on this she told me to write a novel, as a gift for her. So, it was not me who knew that I have the ability to bring up a novel. It was actually Payal who discovered that I can do this entirely new task, if not for myself but surely for our love. She believed that my words reach upto heart and connects well with reality and reader’s mind-set. 

7. How much time it took to write a novel?

As I had no idea of how novels are written, no idea about sentence framing, language, getting published, so every step was unknown, completely unfamiliar for me. I began writing on paper initially. 6 months later, switched on to laptop with some better writing and it took me 15 months to complete the full story and gave it a proper format before approaching the publishers. I started writing in August 2011 and finished the manuscript from my end in November 2012. 

8. Have you faced any problem in finding a publisher for you?

12 different publishers rejected me and many others never responded. Some publishers said they want happy ending stories, some wanted me not to write on inter community love on a serious note as people won’t take it seriously. Some said they feel it risky to publish me because I am not a celebrity to make my book sell like 
other authors who are established now, few publishers demanded money, which I couldn’t afford because I was a student and from a very middle class family. 

Finally, “Teenage Publishers”, based in Daryaganj, New Delhi accepted my work and published it. So, getting accepted by a publisher took more than a year. It took me another 15 months from November 2012 onwards to get a publisher and finally book came out in March 2014.

9. Is this novel a self experience or totally fiction one? We all know that the book somehow relates to the life of the author. How did it relate to you?

I have already mentioned that my book is inspired from my own real life story, so elements of fiction are very low in it. Even the story of a riot is inspired from real life tale. 

10. What was your feeling when you had 'I am dead but my heart beats’ in your hand?

It was 28th February, 2014 when I had the first copy of my book. The feeling was actually a mixture of happiness and sadness. I was missing Payal. She was the reason behind the birth of this novel but she wasn’t present with me to hold it. And yes, happiness was there because I felt very satisfied from the heart that I was finally up with Payal’s wish. I had managed to bring the gift she wanted me to and so I believed that I may not get her back but at least her soul would now rest in peace forever. 

11. What was your parent's reaction when you told to them about the book?

Firstly, I never told my parents about writing a book because you know Indian parents. They never allow or support anything which is out of the league. For them my engineering was very crucial. But when they got to know of my writing and the cause behind it, their anger increased more. They didn’t want me to write at this point of life. They directly said that if I want to write, I shouldn’t expect any support from their end. Well, things changed once I got the book released, they are slowly transforming. Still, they are concerned for studies more and not for my writing but yes, there has been definitely a change. Now they don’t disagree directly, they show some inclination. 

12. Do you want to dedicate this book to anyone? If yes, then to whom?

By now it’s very obvious… this book is for my beloved, Payal. It’s now almost 4 years and I have recovered well from the trauma I was in after her death. So, this book is for her. Few lines for her as a dedication 

"Teri mohabbat ke saugaaton ko rooh mein basa kar jee raha tha main
Teri aashiqui ke nashey mein doob kar saansein le raha tha main
Firr naa janey kyun uss morr parr tu keh gayi alvida mujhe
Naa janey kyun chorr gayi jeene ke liye akela mujhe…"

13. At last give a message to the readers and inspires us all with your words.

Just want say thanks to all my readers and wish to have my readership in mass in coming years. I wish to reach everyone in this country. I wish to say that all my readers and friends are very precious for me, shower your love and support always, stand always with me and if I do anything which you don’t like, feel free to share with me. Your love and criticism both will only make me strong. Ofcourse I will pen down good books in future giving my best, wish to become all reader’s most loved writer. 

And a general message from my end to everyone that ‘In your life, do whatever is there in your heart. Fall in love with your work; don’t think on what others will say. “Dil ki karo, bahut satisfaction milegi”. Rest depends on your hard work. Just follow your dream and work from heart in whichever field you go.


Post a Comment

0 Comments