Interview with Madhurima Halder (Author of Every heart has something to say)

Hey. Lets meet with the very young author of Every Heart Has Something To Say and enjoy her journey from a student to writer. 

1. Introduce yourself to us and your readers.

Hello everyone, this is Madhurima Halder. Not many of you will be knowing about me and 
so let me introduce myself to my readers. I am a writer by heart and have contributed to my debut anthology, ‘The Second Life’. My novel ‘Every Heart Has Something To Say…’ 
released this 20th of November which I co-authored with Neha Ghosh. We have a small 
group of authors and directors who run a N.G.O. ‘The Daughters of This Soil’. Basically I 
am still studying and have some dreams in life which I wish to complete but don’t think 
that’s possible! Well, I don’t think that’s impossible too!

2. Can you give a brief description of your novel ‘Every Heart Has Something To Say…’?

The novel is closest to my heart as it contains certain incidents which really may be 
happened in real. It’s a heart touching emotional journey of the main protagonist Aarohi 
and her love Aayan in the City of Joy, Calcutta. The story revolves around the girl Aarohi 
who comes to Calcutta to pursue her wish of becoming a doctor and then as days pass she 
comes to know that this city is full of emotions. She finds accidentally her love in an 
unexpected place. And then as time flows she gets to know the dark secret of her life. It’s a 
love story full of mysteries which will definitely stir your heart. 

3. Who inspired you to write a novel?

There was no such inspiration from people but yes few incidents took place in my life which 
compelled me to write. I always used to write whenever I got free time but I never knew I 
would pen down a novel and it would get published. My life and the world around me 
inspired me to write. And Jhumpa Lahiri, Madhuri Banerjee and Preeti Singh are always 
serving an inspiration for me.

4. How did the idea of novel come up?

Both my co author and I were sitting in my house and all of a sudden it sparked like it 
would be great if we would write a novel together. And from here it all started. We drew 
few incidents from our real life and from the world surrounding us. We combined them and 
created Aarohi and Aayan. This novel is not an idea it is just combination of confused 
emotions.






5.  What was your motive behind writing this novel?

Our motive was to make people realize how a girl can survive in an unknown city and in 
spite of innumerable hurdles how one can struggle for an identity. After we completed we 
thought of publishing it so that people comes to know about the struggles of a lonely girl in 
a new city among unknown people.

6. How did you come to know that you have the ability to write a novel?

It happened all of a sudden. My grandfather used to provide me a diary and always asked 
me to pen down whatever I saw in and around me since childhood. Somehow this helped me 
to write. And as said earlier I got to know about this when once I started writing a poem 
and submitted it to my English teacher. He read it to the whole class and peals of applause I 
received. So these incidents stimulated the writing power inside me and I started to write.

7. How much time it took to write a novel?

Writing cannot occur always. If you are able to write all the time then I must say you have 
some extraordinary powers (laughs). We took nearly nine months to complete this novel. 
Whenever we used to feel like writing we wrote. We never kept a track on how much we 
wrote daily. Such incidents also took place where a full week passed and we did not write 
anything. 

8. Have you faced difficulty in finding a publisher for you?

The most difficult thing after writing a book is finding a publisher. We nearly chased 
publishers. There were several rejections, but we still didn’t lose hope. There were only few 
people beside us whenever we faced rejections. We carried on and ultimately Omji 
Publishing House was lucky enough for us. But the irony is here that then everyone who 
previously told us that we had written a crap was also happy.

9. What was your feeling when you had ‘Every Heart Has Something To Say…’ in your hand?

When we received our copies it was on 1st December, the same day the previous year when 
we started penning down this emotional journey. So it was a very special day. Moreover it 
was my first novel after my debut anthology. Likewise, the day was celebrated among our 
friends as well as our families.

10. What was your parent’s reaction when you told them first about the book?

Our parents were very happy since we at least showed them that their girls can do 
something in their life (laughs). Jokes apart, they were rather proud of us. I remember this 
well that the day when I first received my copy of my novel, before me my mother snatched 
it from my hand and started reading it. If you do something great in your life and 
unexpectedly when it gets an award, your whole family and you will of course be the 
happiest.

11. Do you want to dedicate this book to anyone? If yes, then to whom?

As said earlier I would dedicate this book to a particular Aayan whom I personally have 
lost in my life, to all those people whose unfinished love stories gave them a purpose in life 
and to those girls who struggle for identity in an unknown city.

12. Give a message at last to your readers and inspire them with your kind words.

There is a lot to tell my readers. First of all, I would thank them from the core of my heart 
who have already picked up the book, finished reading and texted me on facebook and 
twitter that they loved it like anything. Thanks for the wonderful reviews. Secondly, I would 
thank to all those people who have inspired me to write and read books. Thirdly, my whole 
family on facebook and twitter thanks for reading my blogs and my everyday post on 
women empowerment. I don’t know whether you all have tolerated me or not but thanks 
for doing that also. It means a lot to me. Please keep reading good books because you know 
they are somewhat your best friends. And if by chance you are stung by any writing bee 
then please do write in the papers. Always keep this in mind that, ‘A blank piece of paper is 
God’s way of telling how hard it to be God,’ and ‘Paper has more patience than man!’




Post a Comment

1 Comments

  1. Read d both..at d same tym I was wondered hw is it psbl to draw such euphonic emotions as in text for d writter evn at dere small age...rly imprsv as d stories r uncovered through reality..
    A very bst of d luck twrds dere ltl age pen carriers..:-)

    ReplyDelete